Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Browse » home » » » » » » preparing bean and corn beds

preparing bean and corn beds

Last weekend I prepared the soil of my bean bed and my popcorn bed.

Since beans dont need added nutrients, I didnt do anything to the soil of this bed, which is where my tomatoes grew last year. I hadnt touched it since late last fall and it was thick with weeds. I loosened the soil a little with a fork and pulled all the weeds. Now its ready to go. I will plant bean seeds this week.

bean bed 1 bean bed 2

Since corn needs a lot of nutrients, I did as much as I could for this bed. Last fall I planted cover crops, a mix of winter rye, clover, vetch and field peas. Then on top of this, in the winter and early spring, I layered on a good cover of horse manure. I reseeded with clover again in early spring. The rye grew to about 2 feet tall and the clover was nice and thick. On Sunday, I cut down the rye and turned the soil. It looks really nice with lots of worms and other crawling bugs. Next time I am at the garden, I will plant my popcorn.

corn bed 2 corn bed 1
corn bed 3

No comments:

Post a Comment