Friday, November 7, 2014

Browse » home » » » » Completed Potato Bin

Completed Potato Bin

I started and actually finished the Build-As-You-Go Potato Bin today. It took a bit of time to build because I built it to fit a multi-angled spot. Its made to fit against an angled retaining wall and a raised bed that is also on an angle. Only one corner is actually square. I picked this spot to maximize space, I cant waste a centimeter in my little veggie patch. It will also not shade anything in this spot because it is at the very top of the veggie patch.


dead bush... over there

I built it out of a 1x6x8 spruce boards and the blocking is a combination of 2x3 & 2X2 spruce. The 2x2s were used for the square corner & the slightly angled corner and the 2x3s were used for the severe angled corners. I used a Sliding Bevel to transfer all the angles. The boards were then cut on a miter saw and the corner blocks were ripped down with a circular saw with the fence set to the appropriate angle.

The idea is you plant late season potatoes in the bottom, then add more boards & soil as the potatoes grow until you reach the top. The late season potatoes are suppose to grow multiple clutches of potatoes along their buried stem so yield should be greatly increased. The word is they can produce 100lbs per bin, that would be pretty cool! Normally you would just start with a single row of boards and then built it up as the potatoes grow. I did a full set of boards on the two sides because I cant add more boards against the house and the other side does not receive any direct sunlight.

I have a few things to do before I can plant any potatoes. First my potatoes have to arrive, they were suppose to be shipped April 10th. I have to dig out the raised bed that it will reside in and refill it with good soil. I also have to have the water meter reader moved as it is in the side yard and the bin blocks the guys access. It cant be moved fast enough, the guy keeps stepping on my veggies! You may also be wondering about the upside down pot. That is my rhubarb that I am forcing to make it more tender & sweet. It is almost ready to harvest, once that is done it will be moved elsewhere.

I will end with todays sunset over the Grand River.

No comments:

Post a Comment