Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Browse » home » » » » » Autumn is Creeping In

Autumn is Creeping In


There were a few surprises at the park this morning. I knew it was chilly, but walkers bundled up in coats and scarves had me wondering if I was a tad underdressed for my morning jaunt around the grounds. There was a nice chill in the air; the kind that has me breathing deep and slow to savor all the subtle hints if autumn. My breath hung in the airy, all-be-it briefly, as I gazed upon the mornings light warming the gardens. It was chilly, but not bundle-up-in-coats chilly.

My toes became damp as I crossed a lawn that was thick with dew. Droplets of moisture hung on the plants, but frost was not to be found; which I was happy for. Autumn is a wonderful season and winter can patiently wait a few months to claim the gardens.

Iris are in bloom in the rock garden as well as a fellow gardeners plot. Am I the last gardener to know about fall blooming iris? To me, iris are spring, early flushes of color and delicacy in what was for many months a frozen, harsh garden. The iris in the fall garden takes me back a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment